Travel Diary- Observation and Remarks- @ Seatle



                                          


                                          


 "While I was waiting for my order to be placed. As a  first customer for the lunch at this cozy little Japanese restaurent , the young waitress of Asian origin - suppossed to be the owner of the shop , carried a small plate with dishes*** and opened up a cupboard sized  altar with photos of lords and a lighted lamp: placed the plate in front of Gohonzon****  and closed the door of the altar, and rang a bell for three times and chanted some thing  ..... then opened the door and turned  to me to take the order " .

----Rajesh babu Observed and remarked @ the 4th avenue south ,Seatle on ......

* surprised to see this traditon of offerring food to  their good gods before their  meals in the heart of America , this habit is very popular in the Hindu and the Buddhist religion. 

** it is called the Naivedhya or Bhog in India

*** I remember in my adolesecent age, my mom , dad offers food to my ancestors on the new  moon day. Inside the pooja room they offer  food on plantain leaves and leave the room closed after the aarthi.  

**** Gohonzon is the hanging calligraphic paper .

Comments

Popular Posts