Travel diary - blizzfull turns/moments/events/scenes

"We were driving in Western Kenya under the High African sky, my wife beside me, our two boys in the back seat. It was not far from here that I had met this pretty English Woman and married her. Our elder son had been born in Kampala, the yourner one in Singapore, We were still nomads , driving toward Eldoret. Years before, as soon to be married couple, we had spent a night there. 

The boys were idly quarelling and fooling, laughing, distracting me. My wife was saying , " Are you sure this is the right road? " , She had been travelling alone for three months in southern Africa. We were in an old rental car . Cattle dotted the hills, sheltering under the thorn trees. We were just a family on a trip , far away.

But we were travelling toward Eldoret, in to the past  and the deeper into Africa,  into the future. We were  together  , the sun slanting into our eyes everything on the earth was green and I thought :  I NEVER WANT THIS TRIP TO END". 


- Paul Theroux   in the " The TAO of Travel" - pg 273. read on 10/2/13.

Comments

Popular Posts